Pages

Wednesday, April 20, 2011

The All-'Elusive' HAPPINESS, Or Is It?

Everyone wants to be HAPPY. Me included. No doubt.

People sometimes tell me I 'sparkle'. Sometimes I get the "you smile alot ..." Other times, I get the "you laugh alot... " And I reply "Yeah, I do. I'm loony la..."

And of course, sometimes I get the "I think you smile and laugh alot to hide some stuff." and I give them a "hmmz..." and I don't say much.

Well, I'm slightly off my point but here, getting back to it. I want to rant about HAPPINESS. About being HAPPY. About that HAPPINESS that so many of my friends, think is elusive.

People, especially those around us, believe HAPPINESS comes with money. Earning helluva lot of money. With money comes the luxuries of life, the option to do lots of things and of course, HAPPINESS.

The funny part is this. When these people have got loads of money, they're hardly HAPPY. And they think, it must be the job or the wife or the husband or the in-laws or the children or the maid or ... and so on and so forth. Where is the "I" in all of this?

And they will say, "I? I'm UNHAPPY!"

This is what I believe and what I learnt from Landmark. HAPPINESS is a constant effort of being. It's a big effort of waking up every morning and giving your loved ones the biggest smile. It's the big effort of always seeing the positive side of things. Sure, things get me down... all the time. I cry. I get angry. I get irritated. I yell. And I cry somemore. Sure I haven't gotten my fair share of things or achievements or the jobs I've wanted or the guys I so want to date. Oh come on! God is fair!

The only difference is I'm truly grateful for everything I have and I make an effort to remind me of all that each morning I wake up. I don't wake up and think "darn, it's another day again ... SIAN...." I wake up, rub my eyes, open the door and greet my loved ones with a "Good Morning XXX!" or a "Hi XXX!"

Sure, it's an EFFORT. But after a while of being an effort, it becomes second nature.

Wondering if it's denial? As I said, no, I do have my ups and downs. I'm only human.

The point is, happiness is in our own hands.

The biggest example is :

Most people think this ---

Work Hard --> Earn lots of money --> End up Happy

THE TRUTH IS --

Work hard --> Hate job but earn lots of money --> Not happy 

BUT

When you are happy --> you work harder instead of dragging yourself to work grumpy --> positive vibes lead you to enjoy your job --> earn lots of money --> and you're happier still.


*lol* Don't I just love my life?!

Point to note : getting it doesn't mean you're doing it. Doing it doesn't mean you're getting it either. You've got to get it AND do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment